The Gold Coast Individual Age Championships were held at Emmanuel College last Wednesday. Despite having several highly ranked players missing due to a) the Year 3 Camp and b) the lead up to senior exams, Somerset achieved 6 of the 13 titles up for grabs. Well over 500 students participated.
Best results by Somerset students were:
- 2001 Kabilan Manuneedhi 1st with 6.5/7
- 2002 Jack Luke-Paredi 1st with 7/7 and Matthew Sprague 2nd with 6/7
- 2003 Matthew McConnell 1st with 6.5/7, Harrison McConnell 2nd with 5.5/7 and Hamish Khafaji 4th with 5/7
- 2004 Jennifer Yeung 1st with 6/7 and Lyanna Chan 2nd with 6/7
- 2005 Jason Li 2nd with 6/7, Charlie Liu 13th with 5/7, Aarav Rawlley 14th with 5/7
- 2006 Oliver Yang 1st with 7/7, Kenny Ming 3rd with 6/7
- 2007 Amon Watanabe 9th with 5/7
- 2009 Jack Walker 1st with 6.5/7, Denver Bannerman 4th with 5.5/7 and Michael Narizhiny 5th with 5/7
- 2010 Luis Pearse 2nd with 5.5/7, James Hartley 3rd with 5/7
A reminder for all keen Chess players that in January, it is Queensland’s turn to host the 2017 Australian Junior Chess Championships, this time at Anglican Church Grammar School, East Brisbane. Full details at this website here.
If you would like your child to have this great Chess experience, but don’t want to have to drive him or her up, I will be driving a bus up from Mudgeeraba, picking up at BP Coomera every day. This is a supervised package organised by Gardiner Chess. If you wish, you may register for this at this link here. Yes, there is an age group for under 8s, and for all age groups Under 18, 16, 14, 12, 10 and 8 there are ‘Open’ and ‘All Girls’ sections. It is rare for a child to win a title at the first attempt. It is usually necessary to have gained considerable experience at local and national level first. No time like the present to start.
« Back to IndexNext article in this edition »
- Under 16 and 18 Open – 14 to 22 January
- Under 12 and 14 Open – 18 to 22 January
- Under 8 and 10 Open – 14 to 16 January
- Under 16 and 18 Girls – 18 to 22 January
- Under 12 and 14 Girls – 18 to 22 January
- Under 8 and 10 Girls – 20 to 22 January
- Lightning and Problem Solving – 17 January