Following its successful launch in 2017, the 2018 Somerset Gift epitomised the three "C"s of College, Community, and Competition. There were a number of additions to the inaugural programme that expanded the College and Community outreach.
The new additions included:
- An Athletics Clinic for our Junior School students held in the morning by coaches from Ignition Athletics Club
- The Dr Michael Brohier Staff Cup was added as a feature to the race schedule
- Students from Mudgeeraba Special School assisted with the operation of the event and took part in their own 50m race
- Gecko Sports provided sporting activities for children throughout the day
Our students were once again well represented with Kye and Kade Reynoldson finishing first and third in the 14 years and under final. Sam Reeve impressed by taking out the 17/18 year’s final while Nicholas Tan finished third in the Open Mile. Heath Walker showed his Somerset Spirit, finishing fourth in the Open Mile despite being the youngest in the field. He was later seen trying to find Mr. Sayer so that he could prove that he had won some prize money.
The 100m Open Female winner was 14 year old Hilal Durmaz and the 100m Open champion was Patrick McCarthey. Both were awarded $4,000 in prize money for their efforts.
A highlight of the event was the Mudgeeraba Special School race that took place at 2.45pm. We had five students from MSS who were helping us throughout the day and it was a special moment when the time came for them to run their own 50m race. During term two these students had been using our Fitness Centre as part of their school curriculum and they embraced the opportunity to contribute and participate in our event.
The Somerset Gift takes months to plan and execute so I would like to thank the planning committee of Candice Mckenna, John Bacon, and Andrea Lewis. I would also like to acknowledge the support of Tayla Haynes, Rebecca Pridham, Suzie Frawley, Jacqui Sina, Sherry Wilson, and Stephanie Oppermann who helped us get through the day.
Thank you also to our sponsors below as well as the Queensland Athletic League who administered the races.
« Back to IndexNext article in this edition »
- Somerset Alumni 100m Open – Patrick McCarthey
- Somerset Alumni 100m Open Female – Hilal Durmaz
- Mudgeeraba One Mile Open – Chevy Black
- Aon Insurance Masters Mile – James Drew
- Sowerby Family 300m Open – Murray Goodwin
- Sowerby Family 300m Open Female – Jessica Hall
- P&F Association 100m 17/18 years Male – Sam Reeve
- NAB 100m 17/18 years Female – Brooke Gillmeister
- Solid Ground 100m 16 years Male – Taige Hooper
- Arakan Martial Arts 100m 15 years Male – Noah Draper
- Arakan Martial Arts 100m 15/16 years Female – Tanika Mahon
- Ignition Athletics 100m 14 and under Male – Kye Reynoldson
- Ignition Athletics 100m 14 and under Female – Hilal Durmaz
- Catchcam Electronic Security
- BBC Digital