Welcome back to our Spartan sporting community for 2018. This year will be an exciting one with our world-class sporting facilities and top programmes.
After trialling in three camps throughout the state over the past five months, Rylee was last week named in the Queensland Under 17 Netball Squad to compete in Nationals in April this year in Adelaide.
Netball Queensland General Manager – High Performance Richard McInnes said, “We’re excited at the talent coming through the state pathway and the future looks promising with the number of potential Firebirds in these Squads.”
Serenity is a member of the Brisbane Roar Junior Squad and this week she plays against the Solomon Islands. She just returned from national finals and the Queensland Girls Under 15 team was the only team to make it from the state to the finals, placing second.
All students nominate for all events they would like to swim at the South Coast Trials, to be held Monday, 26 March, 2018 at Miami Pool (one day only in 2018 due to Commonwealth Games)
50m Free, Back, Fly, Breast and 100m Free
- If selected in the College team to swim at APS Carnival, these are the times used for Hinterland selection for South Coast Trials.
- If not selected to swim in the College team, must attend APS Carnival and swim a time trial in these events, and these times will be used for Hinterland selection for South Coast Trials. These races will not be for points for the APS Carnival but purely for qualification for the South Coast Trials.
All other Strokes/Distances are paper nominated
- Through Director of Sport
- Must attach print outs of recent (12 months) times as evidence, with all meet details
- APS allocated one automatic qualifier per event for South Coast Trials
- Hinterland allocated 4 further qualifiers if inside South Coast qualifying times
- In addition to the above, if inside State qualifying times, swimmers will be considered
All policies and procedures are outlined in the Senior School Sport page of Schoolbox, under Sport Policy and Dates. All students and parents are encouraged to familiarise themselves with these.
Please note, practices are compulsory for both Winter and Summer Seasons.
- Rugby, Netball, Soccer, Hockey, Tennis & Volleyball
- All students have been sent an email with a link to select their sport
- The link has also been posted on Schoolbox (Senior School Sport)
- If you make an error or change your mind, you must go to the Sports Department
- Hinterland Trials are for strong performers to trial for representative selection in school sport. These lead to regional and state teams.
- Students wishing to trial for these teams must email or come to the Sports Department ASAP.
Softball: Under 19 – next week
Rugby Union: Under 18 - next week
Volleyball: Girls Under 15, Boys & Girls Under 19
AFL: Girls Under 15
Baseball: 15 & 19 Years
Hockey: 12 Years Boys & Girls
Swim Team Training: Every Tuesday and Thursday at 7.30am to 8.15am. Meet Mr Butcher on the pool deck. All welcome. This begins tomorrow. The House Swimming Carnival is in Week 4.
Cross Country Team Training: Every day at 7.00am to 8.15am. Meet Ms McKenna and Ms Oppermann at the Track. All welcome. This begins next Monday.
Student Injuries: If a student is injured at a school Sport, it must be recorded at the time by the College Nurse/medical person present if parents wish to apply through the school insurance policy. If delayed signs or symptoms arise over the weekend, students must notify the College Nurse on Monday morning.
- Don’t forget to check the Somerset Schoolbox Senior School Sport Page as well as the noticeboard at the end of the Science Block for all sports notes.
- If you need more information, drop by the Sports Office.
Add the Sports page link to your Schoolbox:
Go to “My Links” at the bottom left of your Schoolbox page and click "Edit”
At “Manage my Links”, click “+” at the top right of page
Paste this link http://schoolbox.somerset.qld.edu.au/homepage/1466 and add title “Senior School Sport”
Sport next week:
Friday 2 February:
12.50 - Sports Assembly (Great Hall)
1.15 - House Swimming 100m Races
Saturday 3 February:
All Day: Basketball Trials
Swimming Season Dates:
- Friday 2 February: Somerset House Swimming 100m Events (1.30 to 3pm)
- Monday 12 February: Somerset House Swimming Carnival (8.40 to 3.20pm)
- Wednesday 14 February: APS Swimming Carnival (9.30 to 2.30pm) at Somerset
- Monday 26 February: South Coast Swimming Trials (all day) at Miami
All sporting details are posted on Schoolbox on the Sports page.
« Back to IndexNext article in this edition »