During the second week of the holidays our Senior 1st VII Netball team headed to Rockhampton to compete in the Queensland Independent Secondary Schools Netball tournament. The opening ceremony was held on Sunday at the host school, Cathedral College, with 48 netball teams (480 netballers) in attendance.
Games got underway on Monday with Somerset having a great start winning all 4 games. Another three wins on Tuesday put us right up there as one of the teams to beat.
After a well-earned rest day on Wednesday, our first game on Thursday was another convincing win placing us in the top 8. The girls backed it up again by winning our Quarter Final game, placing us in the Top 4 teams in the State. A first for Somerset and a massive achievement!
The team was excited to realise that a Semi-Final win would put us in the Grand Final!. The game was played against the host school Cathedral College who were cheered on by their very vocal supporters in an absolute nail-biter. The scores were tied for most of the game until a couple of errors cost us in the final minutes going down by just 2 goals, which would see us playing off for 3rd and 4th.
Another physical, close encounter was played on Friday as we played Emmaus College, another local school. Again the opposition were well supported which resulted in a 1 point loss and our team finishing 4th place overall. An outstanding result and Somerset's best ever!
Congratulations girls! You all played outstanding netball and you represented the College in the highest manner. Thank you for your outstanding efforts, we are all extremely proud of you!
Please see below for Game Results and Player Awards chosen by opposing teams.
- G1 versus St Ursula's College: Won 28-5 (Manon Chamberlain)
- G2 versus St Patrick's College: Won 23-5 (Xanthe Cerutti)
- G3 versus Southern Cross Catholic College: Won 24-7 (Rylee Burns)
- G4 versus Rockhampton Grammar School: Won 31-6 (Rylee Burns)
- G5 versus St Margaret Mary’s College: Won 28-12 (Rylee Burns)
- G6 versus Aquinas College: Won 18-8 (Ali Harris)
- G7 versus Clairvaux Mackillop College: Won 20-10 (Cristina Vinaccia)
- QF versus St Columban's College: Won 35-19 (Rylee Burns)
- SF versus The Cathedral College: Lost 27-29 (Rylee Burns)
- GF versus Emmaus College: Lost 41-42 (Rylee Burns)
After a week of representing Somerset in the 1st Netball Team, playing in the Queensland Independent Secondary Schools Netball (QISSN) tournament in Rockhampton, Rylee Burns was rewarded for her outstanding performances by being named in the All Star Team.
Only 10 players were named out of the 480 players competing, which is a huge achievement. Rylee was also named MVP for Somerset which was a result of receiving six Player of the Matches for her exceptional performances. A massive achievement for one of the youngest players competing at the tournament.
Huge congratulations, Rylee! Well done!
« Back to IndexNext article in this edition »