More than 60 students represented the College at the recent South Queensland Schools Rowing Championships which were held at Wyaralong Dam near Beaudesert. The Somerset students collected 4 gold, 12 silver and 6 bronze medals with many more crews and scullers making their way to the 8 boat finals.
Notable performances in highly competitive Single Scull events were Lorenz Muhlbauer who claimed 4th place in the Open Boys, Nina Varcoe who crossed the line 5th in the Under 14 Girls and Lachlan Munro who came in 6th place in the Under 16 Boys final.
The regatta became a huge logistical challenge just two days before the start of the regatta with Rowing Queensland relocating the regatta from the Sunshine Coast where inclement weather was forecast. It ended up being a great decision by the organisers as they managed get through the 106 races across the two days of racing.
I would like to extend a big thank you to the coaches, staff and parents who helped facilitate the change of venue, Mrs Jacqui Sina who rearranged all of the transport and accommodation and especially the small group of volunteers who drove out past Beaudesert on Founders' Day to ensure our tents and equipment were ready for the first race on Saturday morning.
I would also like to congratulate all of our rowers who collected medals at the titles:
- Boys' Year 11 Pair: Lorenz Muhlbauer, Sam Platt-Muniz
- Boys' Open Pair: Reuben Mansell, Declan Roberts
- Girls' Year 10 Double Scull: Jade Mansell, Katherine Plume
- Boys' Year 8 Quad Scull: Samuel Liu, Leo Xin, Anthony McKenna, Chester Whiting, Cox: Callum Munro
- Boys' Year 11 Pair: Maximilien Jeanneret-Gris, Ryan McClure
- Boys' Open Pair: Jake Happe, Jaylan Khatri
- Boys' Year 11 Quad Scull: Lorenz Muhlbauer, Maximilien Jeanneret-Gris, Sam Platt-Muniz, Ryan McClure, Cox: Blake Mills
- Girls' Under 17 Single Scull: Katherine Plume
- Girls' Year 10 Four: Charlotte Roche, Madizen Wilkins, Hannah Neumann, Jade Mansell, Cox: Eva Wallace
- Boys' Year 8 Double Scull: Anthony McKenna, Leo Xin
- Boys' Open Eight: Jaylan Khatri, Cian Muenster, Maximilien Jeanneret-Gris, Sam Platt-Muniz, Lorenz Muhlbauer, Ryan McClure, Reuben Mansell, Declan Roberts, Cox: Finlay Walton
- Girls' Year 11 Pair: Talia Varcoe, Brieanna Bischof
- Boys' Year 9 Double Scull: Julius Wright, Declan Thew
- Schoolboys' Year 11 Four: Joshua Redfern, Maximilien Jeanneret-Gris, Sam Platt-Muniz, Ryan McClure, Cox: Blake Mills
- Boys' Open Four: Jake Happe, Jaylan Khatri, Finlay Walton, Reuben Mansell, Cox: Samuel Lindsay
- Boys' Year 10 Four: Michael Blauberg, Marc Eksteen, Lachlan Munro, Aidan McKeon, Cox: Blake Mills
Boys' Year 11 Pair: Maximilien Jeanneret-Gris, Ryan McClure
Boys' Open Pair: Jake Happe, Jaylan Khatri
Boys' Year 11 Quad Scull: Lorenz Muhlbauer, Maximilien Jeanneret-Gris, Sam Platt-Muniz, Ryan McClure, Cox: Blake Mills
Girls' Under 17 Single Scull: Katherine Plume
Sunday 31 July - Gold Coast Team Trials – Wyaralong Dam
Our top rowers will be heading back out to Wyaralong to trial for a place on the Gold Coast team to compete in the Inter-Regional Regatta which will held in Rockhampton in September. The trial will see four Quad Sculls selected to represent the Gold Coast in Under 16 Boys, Under 16 Girls, Open Boys and Open Girls.
« Back to IndexNext article in this edition »
Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 August - Gold Coast Schools Open Rowing Regatta – Wyaralong Dam
Saturday 17 to Monday 19 September - Queensland Schools Rowing Championships – Rockhampton