In Week 2 we will hold the House Athletics Carnival over three days, with Senior School on Thursday, Junior School on Friday and all Year 3 to 12 students on Saturday. Athletics practices continue daily at the Track.
During the holiday break Rhian Stowers, Lewis Pye, Charles Pye and Luka Lewis all competed at the Queensland Schoolboy Rugby trials at Ballymore. Rhian Stowers was successful in being selected for the Queensland 1 Team.
Serenity has been Queensland 15 Years Girls Team to compete at the national titles in Coffs Harbour, held July 13-21. More details will follow after the tournament.
Over the holidays, Jordan Webb, Tal Mougrabi and Wilson Partridge competed in Queensland Men’s Netball State Championships and his team took out the title. Jordan had a busy break, also representing Somerset at a Baksetball Invitational tournament.
On Saturday Jade travelled up to Caboolture to compete in Queensland Interschool competition for novice dressage and show jumping.
Jayde was placed ninth and 10th in the dressage phase and seventh in one of her show jumping rounds.
Thursday 26 and Saturday 28 July
For the full programme of times and events, please click here.
- Arrive: 8.15am on each day: students are to arrive in their House Sports uniform and move straight to their House tent area at the Track (rolls will be taken by PC leaders).
Food and drinks: there will be coffee, food and drinks for sale, for both students and parents.
Thursday: Track Kiosk (card and EPTPOS).
Saturday: Track Kiosk (Smartcard, cash & EPTPOS), P&F Tent at end of Track (cash only)
- Students should also bring snacks, a water bottle, hat and sunscreen.
- Parents: are welcome to attend each day and it is recommended to bring a fold-up chair or rug to sit on but you are also welcome to move around with your son/daughter as they go through the rotation of events. Tents can also be set up at the southern end of the track.
- Attendance: all students are expected to remain at the College until 3.30pm. Presentations will take place at the conclusion on Saturday. Please do not take your son/daughter home prior to this. We want to encourage a team approach and everyone is responsible for being a part of their House.
- Saturday is the only day of the school year which students are required to attend sport on a weekend. As such, it is expected this be treated as a priority over other weekend commitments. Any concerns can be directed to Heads of House. Please understand most people have other commitments on this day but make arrangements to attend the Carnival all day.
- Results: all results will be pinned up outside the timing room and posted on Schoolbox.
Held Wednesday 8 August. Somerset are the three-time defending champions and the team will be announced the week after the Carnival. Practices continue daily at 7.00am at the track.
The Somerset House Athletics Carnival is not an APS “selection trial”. In each event, the top two place-getters do not automatically qualify for the Somerset APS Athletics Team.
The Athletics coaches and Director of Sport maintain the right to make all selections, based on history of performance, recent form in class and practices and “best fit” for the team. A squad will be selected and the final team announced closer to the APS Athletics Carnival.
Students will not be considered for too many events due to fatigue/performance concerns. Absent students with legitimate excuses will not be disadvantaged in selection.
Reserves are reminded to bring their uniform on the day of competition, as it is likely that a number of reserves will be called upon to compete. Reserves may attend all day with the team or go to class, from which they will be sought if required.
In Week 3, students will again trial for Summer Season sport, which include Basketball, AFL, Touch, Tennis, Water Polo, Cricket and Softball.
Students should be prepared to consider other sports if required.
If on the long-term injured list and seeking to join the Rehab Group, parents must forward a medical certificate to the College Nurse with all relevant information.
Our first round will be versus Coomera Anglican on Friday, 10 August.
Practices continue daily and begin at 7.00am sharp, concluding at 8.15am.
Mondays and Wednesday: SS Jumps and Throws, JS Track
Tuesdays and Thursdays: JS Jumps and Throws, SS Track
Fridays: All events for JS and SS
Daily 7.00am - Athletics Practices (Somerset Track)
Thursday 26 July - Day 1 of the Senior School House Athletics Carnival
Friday 27 July - Day 1 of the Junior School House Athletics Carnival
Saturday 28 July - Day 2 of the Junior & Senior Schools House Athletics Carnival
Friday 3 August - Summer Sports Trials #2/2
APS Javelin/1500m events
Wednesday 8 August - APS Athletics Carnival @ Somerset
Friday 10 August- APS Summer Season Sport vs Coomera
All policies and procedures are outlined in the Senior School Sport page of Schoolbox, under “Sport Policy and Dates”. All students and parents are encouraged to familiarise themselves with these.
Please note, practices are compulsory for both Winter and Summer Seasons.
APS Sport Photos
Click here to access photos of your sport or your team.
All Season details on Schoolbox Senior School Sports page.
(“Winter Sports” tile for all season dates, and training schedules of the APS Season)
Don’t forget to check the Somerset Schoolbox Senior School Sport Page, as well as the noticeboard at the end of the Science Block for all Sports notes.
If you need more information, drop by the Sports Office.
The Sports page link must be added to your Schoolbox.
If you need more information, drop by the Sports Office in the Ray Building.
If your son or daughter is injured at school sport, it must be recorded at the time by the school nurse/medical person present if parents wish to apply through the school insurance policy. If delayed signs or symptoms arise over the weekend, students must notify the school nurse on Monday morning.
All sporting details are posted on Schoolbox on the Sports page.
« Back to IndexNext article in this edition »