Nominations for the 2020 Annual Alumni Awards are now open! Nominations close on 31 March 2020.
Somerset College Alumni are enterprising and diverse, hail from all over the world, and no matter what stage of life or career they find themselves, they remain a valued and vital part of the Somerset College community.
Each year the Alumni Association in conjunction with Somerset College celebrates the achievements of our alumni through the presentation of a number of awards. In recognition of the achievements of our alumni, the Annual Alumni Awards presents three award categories: Early Career, Community Engagement, and Annual Alumnus.
Alumni Award recipients exemplify the transformation individual people can create through taking action and giving back to their community. Alumni Award recipients are leaders and innovators in their field, and exemplify the way in which we can create change through the application of passion, empathy, and dedication.
The Alumni Association encourages internal and external nominations for each of the Annual Alumni Awards categories. All nominees must have completed Year 12 at Somerset College and must not be a member of the Alumni Association Committee or the Annual Alumni Awards Selection Committee.
The Early Career award recognises an alumnus in the beginning stages of their existing career path, or who have commenced in a new career path, and whose early career accomplishments inspire and provide leadership. This award category extends to include volunteering, community work, and philanthropy. Evidence must be provided that the nominee has consistently demonstrated all or some of the following:
• Outstanding service to their field.
• Exemplary leadership to their peers.
• Inspiring their colleagues to reach the highest potential.
• Advocacy of the interests of College alumni and Somerset College.
Somerset College is actively engaged in community engagement and service, and seeks to produce alumni with a strong social conscience. The Alumni Association supports this by recognising an alumnus who has made an outstanding contribution, given exceptional effort or commitment, and/or given exceptional service to a community over and above their role, or in excess of their chosen field of employment. Evidence must be provided that the nominee has consistently demonstrated all or some of the following:
• Being the epitome the very essence of what community engagement represents.
• Significant contributions to the enrichment and benefit of a community’s development.
• Significant positive impact on a community that has been felt at local, state, national, and/or international level.
• Acting in an exceptional manner which shows their professional commitment to community engagement and gaining the respect of a community.
The Annual Alumnus award is presented for achievement of an exceptional nature in any field including but not limited to sporting, cultural, vocational, voluntary, philanthropic, or professional. Recipients will have brought distinction to themselves, the Alumni Association, and Somerset College. The Annual Alumnus award is the highest honour the Alumni Association can bestow, so evidence must be provided that the nominee has consistently demonstrated all or some of the following:
• Leadership in their role, field, or profession.
• Prominence in their role, field, or profession.
• Development and furtherance of knowledge.
• Formal recognition within their role, field, or profession.
• Significant positive impact in their role, field, or profession that has been felt at local, state, national, and/or international level.
• Bringing distinction to themselves, the Alumni Association and to Somerset College.
• Sustained success over their career or vocation that is noteworthy and exceptional.
You are welcome to nominate yourself provided you are a Somerset College alumnus, or you may elect to nominate another Somerset College alumnus for the Annual Alumni Awards, and may also nominate one alumnus in multiple categories.
To register a nomination, click here – please note, nominations will only be accepted when submitted using this link.
The Annual Alumni Awards Selection Committee receives all nominations and determines those who will be shortlisted and the final award recipients. Prior to shortlisted nominees being announced, this Committee will contact shortlisted nominees to confirm they do not wish to withdraw their nomination.
Shortlisted nominees and their guests are invited to attend the Annual Alumni Awards Dinner, at which the Early Career, Community Engagement, and Annual Alumnus award recipients will be announcement and presented with their trophy.
After the Annual Alumni Awards Dinner, the award recipients’ names will be inscribed on the Annual Alumni Awards honour board which will be displayed at the College.
The Committee’s decisions are final and correspondence will not be entered into. Neither the Committee not its members are required to provide reasons the decisions made in relation to the Annual Alumni Awards.