After more than 16 years of outstanding leadership and service, Mrs Karen Crowley will retire as Dean of Studies after taking long service leave in Term Three, 2021. During those 16 years Mrs Crowley has served Somerset on two different occasions; from July 1995 to December 2001 teaching in the Senior School before becoming Head of House – Franklin; and since 2012 as Academic Counsellor and Dean of Studies.
Mrs Crowley has achieved magnificent outcomes for our Senior Classes and guided our transition from the OP to the QCE achieving enormous success in both. She has been a wonderful and spirited member of the College Leadership Team. I am sure that you will join with me in wishing Mrs Crowley and Mr Crowley all the best as Mrs Crowley transitions to a well-deserved retirement.
After consultation with the College Leadership Team and the Board, I have decided to restructure the leadership responsibilities in the Senior School, incorporating changes for the positions of Deputy Headmaster, Head of Senior School and the Dean of Studies.
The Dean of Middle Years position will cease and Mrs Michele Sauer will move to Dean of Studies. I’m sure you will want to congratulate Mrs Sauer on this move and thank her for her significant successes in building the MYP and leading the MYL team. The recent evaluation has been the best ever, the review saying "that if anyone wants to see the MYP in its best practice, simply visit Somerset College." I also extend my thanks and congratulations to Mr Nicholas Brice and Mrs Allison Foster on their new responsibilities.
The following new responsibilities will be in transition in Term Two and in action from the start of Semester Two:
• Chair the Senior School Assembly and Senior School Staff Meetings.
• Co-ordinate the following major events:
• Cum Laude Assemblies
• Founders’ Day
• Scholars’ Day
• Assist with testing for scholarship applicants and other students prior to entering the College.
• Oversee the Staff Professional Learning process, including Coaching and Mentoring.
• Lead the use of Student Outcomes data with the Head of Curriculum Services.
• Oversee student reporting.
• Oversee daily operations in the Senior School with the assistance of the Dean of Studies and the Head of Senior School.
• Oversee the Scholarship Review process with Dean of Studies and Head of Senior School.
• Oversee Learning Enhancement in the Senior School and assist with the Head of Junior School to develop a College-wide approach.
• Implementation of the MYP in Years 7 to 10 and assist the Head of Junior School with Year 6.
• Organise formal procedures in preparation for moderation and certification.
• Oversee NAPLAN Preparation for Years 7 and 9.
• Oversee assessment in Years 7 to 10 and assist the Head of Junior School with Year 6.
• Oversee the Year 10 Personal Project.
• Liaise with the Assistant Head of Junior School – Curriculum to promote the IB programmes.
• Assist in the daily operations of the Senior School with the Deputy Headmaster and Dean of Studies.
• Assist the Deputy Headmaster and Dean of Studies with the Scholarship Review process.
• Chair the Academic Leadership Team (ALT) of Heads of Department and Assistant Heads of Department.
• Oversee the assessment programme for Years 11 and 12 and liaise with the Head of Senior School about the programme for Years 6 to 10.
• Oversee the IB Diploma Programme.
• Manage the book lists for the Senior School.
• Assist in the daily operations of the Senior School with the Deputy Headmaster and Head of Senior School.
• Assist the Deputy Headmaster and Head of Senior School with the Scholarship Review process.
With regret I have accepted the resignation of Mr Greg Dwyer effective 2 April 2021. Mr Dwyer has been a wonderful asset in the Design Department, and we wish him every success as he embarks on his teaching career.
We wish Mr Andrew Wrigley, Mr Jeff Grocott, Mr Greg Juniper, Mr Dallas O’Brien, Ms Marie Morel and Mr Rob Hughes all the best with their leave.
I am delighted to announce the following appointments for next term:
• Mrs Olivera Bisevac, Grad Dip Ed, B Sc, will teach Science in the Senior School. Olivera comes to us having taught Senior Science at Hillcrest Christian College, Senior Maths at Emmanuel College and Maths, Physics and Chemistry at Good Shepherd Lutheran College, Northern Territory.
• Mrs Karen Bolger, Grad Dip Ed, B Int Bus, B Comm B, F & RM, will teach Mathematics in the Senior School. Karen comes to Somerset with extensive experience across Senior School Mathematics having taught and written, co-written and implemented Senior Mathematics Programmes. Karen’s most recent roles include teaching Mathematics at St Stephen’s College and Coomera Anglican College.
• Mrs Kate Burns, Grad Cert Ed, B French and Spanish, will teach French from Years 6 to 11. Kate taught French and Spanish at Dulwich College, London having also taught at John Mason School, Abingdon and Colegio San Lorenzo, Santiago, Chile.
I’m sure you will join me in welcoming Mrs Bisevac, Mrs Bolger and Mrs Burns to Somerset.
I wish you all a safe and happy Easter.
« Back to IndexNext article in this edition »